Well, As the name suggests, long-tail keywords are keywords that are long.
As these keywords are long, generally the long-tail keywords perform better in terms of conversion as a user is able to communicate his intent with the usage of a long-phrase.
Long-tail keywords, when used properly can help you rank higher on search engines for conversion-oriented keywords thereby making you profitable.
So, let us find out more about long-tail keywords.
What are long-tail keywords?
As you know, keywords are words or phrases that people enter in the search engines when looking up some information.
If your website content contains relevant keywords, it features higher on search results and gets you more traffic.
Usually, long-tail keywords are 4 or more words long.
Long-tail keywords examples
For example- “comedy movies” is a short tail keyword.
If you do Google searches for keywords like this, you will get search results for hundreds of comedy movies. But, if you want to look for something specific, you have to refine your search term.
Let’s say you are looking for Mr Bean movies. So instead of searching for “comedy movies”, you have to use a long-tail keyword like “Mr Bean comedy movies”.
What’s the purpose of long-tail keywords?
When you are searching for something specific on Google, you tend to refine your search and provide more details so that you get exactly what you are looking for.
Similarly, when you are making content for your target audience, if you use vague, generic keywords, your website will be lost in a sea of useless search results.
But if you use long-tail keywords, you are signalling to Google that you have specific information on a topic and your website can give the user exactly what they are looking for.
How to choose long-tail keywords
For example let us assume that you are running a Digital Marketing Institute, selling online courses.
If you optimise your website for Digital Marketing, chances are that may rank for various intents, such as:
• Digital Marketing Services
• Digital Marketing Agency
• Digital Marketing Courses
Well out of the above only Digital Marketing courses is relevant, so If you add the third phrase you communicate to Google and users what you offer. Now you will potentially rank for:
• Digital Marketing Courses in Delhi
• Digital Marketing Courses in Mumbai
• Digital Marketing Courses Online
Out of the 3 above Digital Marketing courses Online is most relevant as you are selling courses online.
This is why Long-tail keywords work better and you should optimise your site for long-tail keywords.
Still, wondering, why should you include long-tail keywords in my content? Well, here are a few reasons:
- While long-tail keywords may get less traffic than shorter keywords- they lead to better conversion rates. Because long-tail keywords are more specific, they draw in motivated readers.
- When you use long-tail keywords, you are signalling that you have a content niche that your user is searching for. Over time, they get you more traffic than short-tail keywords.
- The internet is highly competitive. If you use vague, generic keywords, you may lose your audience to your rivals. However, by using long-tail keywords, you can define your niche better and stand out from the competition.
- Also, if you have an ecommerce site usage of long-tail keywords, can help you attract the audience who are more likely to make a purchase decision or take a desired action like sign up or subscribe for something.