Biggest SEO Mistakes that Small Businesses make
SEO Mistakes that small businesses make and how to avoid them:
Biggest SEO Mistakes in Digital Content Production
- Content devoid of keywords: Understand you cannot market everything to everyone. Find out relevant keywords and optimize your content accordingly to get more hits for your website.
- Ignoring mobile optimization: More people are searching via mobile, so make sure your site is optimized for mobile viewers. This is especially true for local businesses, as people are more likely to look up local services on their phones.
- Slow loading websites: Studies show people leave a website if the pages are slow to load. Make sure your website is fast- it automatically enhances user experience.
- Using generic and unattractive content: Your revenue comes from real people and not search engines, so make sure you have good quality content that will hook in real people. Simply writing keyword-heavy content may give you traffic, but it will also bore the readers and make them abandon your website fast. This, in turn, will chip away at your reputation. Have quality content that can guide readers through your website, convince them to click on the right links and make purchase decisions.
SEO Tips to help you avoid Common SEO Mistakes
Important components of SEO audits and why you should pay attention to them:
- Identifying crawl errors: If your website has errors or bugs, search engine spiders will not be able to crawl it and read the content. This makes the website less visible on search results.
- Switch to HTTPS: People now are more concerned with online safety, so make sure that your website is HTTPS as well. Most browsers won’t even let their users visit a website if it is not HTTPS.
- Link analysis: How your site is linked both externally and internally determines its readability and relevance. This is an important criterion for appealing to Google’s search algorithm. The links you have determine which pages are more important, so you can also figure out your strengths.
- On-page SEO: Know what your pages need. On-page SEO tools analyse things like meta descriptions, header tags, alt tags, lengths of page titles and URLs. These are important aspects that need to be optimized to attract more traffic.
- Keyword and content review: This is pretty much self-explanatory. If you do not know that whether your website content is optimized and have the right keywords and keyword density, you will pretty much be struggling in the dark. You must know what makes for good, attractive and readable content so that your site will rank higher on Google search results and retain your readers’ attention.
SEO Tips to better optimisation of your website
Many small businesses need effective SEO strategy on a tight budget. Here are some things they can do:
- Focus on local SEO: A small business needs to draw the local crowd, so it must focus on getting on top of local listings and location-based search rankings. Start by registering on Google My Business, and then promote your business in local social media and Whatsapp groups.
- Guest blogging: Share blogs on relevant sites and acquire backlinks from there. Writing guest blogs also establishes you as a sector expert, and helps gain visibility. It is also a free way of building an online reputation.
- Optimize metadata: Optimize your headings and meta descriptions so that they are more keyword oriented and hence more click-worthy. Good meta descriptions make for more attractive content snippets, which is a great way of grabbing the attention of net surfers and potential buyers.
- Do a site audit and focus on technical SEO: A clean website has a better chance of getting discovered by search engine spiders. So do a site audit, check for broken pages, errors, bugs, slow loading etc. There are many free tools available for this. Technical SEO makes sure that your website is optimized so that search engines can easily crawl through it and discover the content they are looking for when searching for keywords. These things make your site easily “readable” by the search engines and thus gives you better search rankings.
Author : Avinash Chandra
Branding & Digital Marketing Consultant and Founder of BrandLoom Consulting (A $1m startup). Help companies generate more revenue through digital marketing and branding. Growth Driver of Large Global Companies and Successful Startups. Built Sustainable & Profitable Businesses for over 100 Brands during 18 years long global career. Speaker at CII, CITI, ASSOCHAM and several prominent Industry Forums. Covered by TOI, ET, The Hindu, Silicon India, The CEO and many publications.