There are many companies in India who are well known for their CSR activities. Not only are they solid businesses, but also have great goodwill in the market because they work at giving back to society. If you want to know about some of India’s best corporate citizen companies, you have come to the right place.
The amendment in the Companies Act 2013 mandates companies with a net worth of INR 500 crore or more, or an annual turnover of INR 1000 crore or more, or net profit of INR 5 crore or more to spend at least 2 per cent of their average net profits of the three previous consecutive years on thoughtful Corporate Social Responsibility CSR projects.
As part of the CSR compliance, this 2% can be invested in the areas of development like education, poverty, gender equality, women empowerment, war veteran services and investments in technology incubators.
What Companies Do as a CSR Initiative
However, CSR is not limited to just these options. top CSR companies in India spent generously in those areas by sector for the year 2017-18. Whether in the public sector or private sector, no company, that meets the criteria, is exempt from this amendment.
Indian companies invested the most (about Rs 2202 crores) in Education 2018, followed by Heath (Rs 1691 crores) and development of rural areas (Rs 1029 crores).
Approximately Rs 483 crores were contributed by companies in sustainable livelihood environment causes and Rs 525 crores in spreading awareness about equality. The quarterly results latest news provides information about the CSR policies and strategies of the top CSR companies.
Post the mandate, transparency across has increased and improved. Also, the number of companies spending less than 2% of the mandated CSR funds has decreased remarkably.
The topmost contributing sectors for the year 2017-18 was the Energy and Power sector with Rs 2465 crores. Banking and Finance sector gave Rs 1351 crores through their CSR followed by IT Consulting sector. The sector spent over Rs 1100 crores on its CSR projects.
The big players in the mining sector contributed about Rs 647 crores that year whereas FMCG consumer products sector was able to generate Rs 635 crores for CSR projects.
The Chemical agencies gave about Rs 22 crores and lastly, the Entertainment sector distributed about Rs 25 crores in various areas of CRS.
The CSR expenses of the listed top CSR companies in India are not eligible for any deductions in the computation of taxable income. However, the re-evaluation of this provision is under consideration. In case you want to stay updated about the CSR spends, you can follow the share market live Sensex news.
List of Top CSR Companies in India
Some of the top 100 listed companies that are huge contributors are as follows:
1 Mahindra Mahindra:
CSR Initiatives by Mahindra Mahindra:
- M&M sponsors Project Nanhi Kali – It is their Flagship program. Commenced in 1996 by Mr Anand Mahindra, Project Nanhi Kali has supported the education over 11 lakh underprivileged girls. They provide material support (like school bags, notebooks, uniforms, etc.) and academic support (like workbooks)
- Project Hariyali – Through his project, they planted more than 7.9 million trees. This also includes the four million trees in the Araku Valley.
- Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya – Constructed 4340 toilets across 104 districts.
- Mahindra Pride School – Provided livelihood and vocational training to more than 10000 youth in Pune, Patna, Chandigarh, Chennai and Srinagar.
2 Tata Power
CSR Initiatives by Tata Power
- Act of Manseer – The Flagship Programme started in 1975. It is a thoughtful initiative for the conservation of endangered species. They have set up the breeding centre in Lonavala (Maharashtra) which is a part of its restoration and development project for the lakes. The program has successfully produced in various water bodies.
- To uplift women and encourage their empowerment and equality, they have established ‘Dhaaga’ – A women enterprise established for garment stitching and handicraft making.
- They have also launched ‘Abha’ which is an ‘Earn While You Learn’ opportunity for women.
- They also invest in vocational skill development of youth from economically and socially disadvantaged communities.
- Tata Power is one of the top CSR companies in India and a top contributor from the Tata Group. They reached out to about 230 schools for the covering education of over 1 lakh students through various initiatives.
3 Tata Steel
CSR Initiatives by Tata Steel:
- Tata Steel CSR compliance supports the preservation of culture and ethnicity of indigenous communities.
- Various programs for sanitation and eradicating poverty and malnutrition are conducted across 10 districts of Odisha, Chattisgarh and Jharkhand. They cover about 500 villages.
- Maternal and Newborn Survival Initiative (MANSI) – MANSI, a public-private initiative that aims to reduce child and infant mortality. It is being implemented in about 167 villages of Jharkhand.
- Making safe drinking water accessible in Jharkhand, parts of West Bengal and Odisha is also a part of their CSR plan.
- They also contribute to women empowerment and education of women and special children.
4 Tata Chemicals
CSR Initiatives by Tata Chemicals:
- Being a significant player in the chemical industry, Tata Chemicals makes sure it is doing everything in its power to preserve the ecosystem through its CSR.
- Their climate change policy maps their carbon footprint and is working on creating an abatement strategy for sustainable manufacturing.
- Save the Whale Shark Campaign – Began in in 2004, the campaign aims to spread awareness about the whale shark. It is the largest fish in the world and was endangered and depleting because of the fishermen slaughtering them in Gujarat coast for export.
- Tata Chemicals Society for Rural Development provides funds to disaster relief funds set up by the Central Government.
- Tata Chemical’s initiative TCSRD also manages activities like natural resource management, water management projects and land reclamation.
5 Tata Motor
CSR Initiatives by Tata Motors:
- Vidyadhanam addresses all concerns related to education. Scholarships, financial aid, support classes, life skills and co-curricular activities.
- Learn, Earn and Progress (LEAP) – Through LEAP, a year-long mechanic motor vehicle training (theoretical and On-Job-Training)
- Aarogya – This focuses on combating malnutrition under the age of 5 and providing water in tribal and drought-prone areas.
- Kaushalya – An Employability Enhancement and Skill Development program that trains school dropouts and unemployed youth in three segments and provides them with stabilized employment.
- Vasundhara – Tata Motors organizes sapling plantations and awareness campaigns through Vasundhara
6 Bharat Petroleum
CSR Initiatives by Bharat Petroleum:
- Project BOOND – The initiative started with 4 villages in Maharashtra to make them drought-free. Today, it has spread across 140 villages in Karnataka, Rajasthan, UP, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
- They also do social work at Kochi Refinery. They support government hospitals, constructed a new operation theatre at Taluk Hospital.
- Saksham – It is a teacher’s training program that encourages teachers to use new teaching techniques and develop new classroom materials
- They have also set up skill development and vocational training centres in Guwahati, Raebareli, Kochi, Bhubaneswar and Visakhapatnam.
- They have contributed funds to renovate toilets and libraries in some schools as well.
CSR Initiatives by Infosys:
- The Infosys Foundation has mid-day meal programs spread across various states across India.
- The IT giant works towards eradicating malnutrition. They also strive to provide better health, sanitation and quality of life to the underprivileged.
- They organize career guidance sessions for girls and empowering sessions for differently-abled women. Also, they have sessions for mothers for better parenting.
- In the area of education, they have reconstructed schools, hostels and orphanages.
- They have also contributed funds in support of the construction of a metro station in partnership with Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited.
- They also contribute to the Central Government’s disaster relief funds.
CSR Initiatives by GAIL
- GAIL Utkarsh – They provide aid over 500 financially disadvantaged students to get in India’s engineering institutes.
- GAIL Institute of Skills (GIS) – They provide employment-linked on-job training to local youth around GAIL’s areas of operation.
- They have also contributed to the reconstruction of schools and toiled in co-education institutes.
- Community toilets were also reconstructed in Bhadohi and Allahabad. They provided dustbins in various cities.
- They contributed funds for college construction in Telangana.
- GAIL has also taken up rural development projects through asset creation. They provided funds for drainage system installation, bridge construction, roads, and compound walls in Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and various districts of Madhya Pradesh.
9 Reliance Industries
CSR Initiatives by Reliance Industries:
- Through Reliance managed hospitals, over 5 lakh health consultations are provided, 12283 children diagnosed for malnutrition.
- Women oriented healthcare initiatives were also started. Women were guided about wholesome nutrition, pre and post pregnancy, menstrual hygiene and anaemia. Through about 27 Community Health Centres, pregnant women were enrolled for postnatal care.
- Reliance also provides scholarship to meritorious students for higher studies. Thousands of students were able to benefit through ‘Education for All’ in Reliance Foundation Schools. Sports scholarships were also provided under Young Champs
- The company also helped in relief activities in Gujrat, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
- Water conservation and harvesting projects were successfully planned and executed.
- Lakhs of saplings were planted in plantation drives to preserve the ecosystem.
10 Hindustan Unilever Ltd
CSR Initiatives by Hindustan Unilever Ltd:
- Greening Barrens – A water conservation and harvesting project. It is a project that is based on the principles of 5R – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recover & Renew.
- Shakti – The rural development initiative that focuses on villages with less than 2000 people. They aim to empower women by providing learning and earning opportunities.
- Lifebuoy Swastya Chetna – Through this, they focus on villages in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Odisha, Bihar and Maharashtra to spread awareness about the importance of washing hands.
- The Fair & Lovely Foundation – Through this CSR initiative, HUL aims to empower women across India through resources of education.
- They also have lots of special education and Rehabilitation initiatives like Asha Daan, Ankur, Kappagam and Anbagam.
11 Maruti Suzuki India Ltd
CSR Initiatives by Maruti Suzuki India Ltd:
- As a CSR initiative, the company has taken steps in educating people about road safety, training and safe driving techniques.
- Additionally, they have also taken up city-specific road safety campaigns across major cities.
- Maruti Suzuki, a leading automobile manufacturer and one of the top CSR companies in India, also has many skill development and employable vocation training programs.
- The company also spent its funds on building learn-to-drive schools and training of underprivileged youth.
- The company has also invested a part of the 2% on the enhancement of quality of education in Gurugram, Rohtak and Ahmedabad.
- In Gurugram and Rohtak, the company has also improved the quality of living through renovating community halls and constructing roads.
- Through a partnership with Waterlife India, Maruti Suzuki has designed “Water ATM”. These ATMs dispense water at a nominal rate.
12 Tata Consultancy Services
CSR Initiatives by Tata Consultancy Services:
- Purpose4Life – The IT services company has launched a volunteering program for its employees. Through this, their employees can make a difference by giving 10 hours per year to social work.
- TCS Maitree – TCS has announced advances training classes for visually impaired people.
13 Indian Oil Corporation Ltd
CSR Initiatives by Indian Oil Corporation:
- One of the main focus of IOCI is providing safe drinking water and protection of water resources.
- Joining hands with ALIMCO, IOCI facilitated over 20000 assistive devices for differently-abled. They provided them with wheelchairs, walking sticks, braille kits for visually impaired, hearing aids, tricycles and artificial limbs.
- Vidushi – Established wIth the aim of providing coaching to the underprivileged girl child in India to get admission in IITs, IIITs and other prestigious institutes,
- They also have a skill development centre in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- IndianOil Gyanodaya – This scheme provides scholarships on ‘merit and means’ basis for students pursuing courses in government ITIs and Polytechnics.
- They also have established a 200-bed Assam Oil Division Hospital in Digboi.
14 Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd
CSR Initiatives by Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd:
- For water management initiative, Project Saraswati was launched. It was established to find and locate unexploited fresh-water in Rajasthan.
- They also facilitated mid-day meals in Andhra Pradesh in association with Akshay Patra.
- They provided financial aid to Anganwadis in the West.
- Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd also opened vocational training institutes for women in the southern region. The corporation also took up reconstruction of 500 houses after the Orissa-cyclone.
- This is one of the few and top CSR companies in India that also facilitated Braille machines for the visually impaired children of the North Eastern States.
15 Steel Authority of India (SAIL) Ltd
CSR Initiatives by Steel Authority of India Ltd:
- Steel Authority of India has recently started professional training and skill development training as electricians, welders and fitter. They also provide skill development in embroidery and chulha making.
- For the development and enhancement of living conditions, SAIL has developed 79 model Steel villages in backward areas. They are regularly maintained by SAIL.
- SAIL also supported over 3,50,000 villagers through their basic healthcare infrastructure and campaigns. The (about 4100) health camps took care of free health-checkups, lab tests, medicines and immunization.
- SAIL has contributed money towards gender equality and environmental sustainability as well.
Can you provide contact database of thse PSUs..
Good short information about 15 top CSR companies
Pl guide me for internship in CSR department of any one top rated companies in CSR activities
we are requirement in csr funding
Asked for the right contact to csr
we are requirementin csr funding
I am looking for the CSR fund to be deployed
We need Funds under CSR from any Company for our Lab Development
Hi sir I have run old-age home for old age people.
We do work old age home and poor children development program and my ngo name is VISHWA JYOTHI EDUCATION AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT SOCIETY registered under the Karnataka societies registration act 1960 (Karnataka act 17 of 1960)& 12A & 80G as well as registered CSR If possible please give CSR for completing that project.